Stairway, Handrail & Guardrail Regulations
- Stairways shall be a minimum of 36 inches wide and shall be equipped with a handrail.
- Maximum riser height is 7 3/4 inches. No riser shall vary from another by more than 3/8 inch.
- Minimum tread depth is 10 inches. No tread shall vary from another by more than 3/8 inch.
- All treads shall have nosing (leading edge) that protrudes past the riser 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch. No nosing shall vary from another by more than 3/8 inch.
- Handrails are required for all stairs that have 3 or more risers.
- All handrails shall return into the wall or newel post.
- Handrails shall be 34 to 38 inches from the nose of the tread.
- Guardrails are required for porches, decks, balconies, ramps, open sides of stairs or raised floor surfaces located more than 30 inches above the floor or grade below.
- Guardrails shall be a minimum of 36 inches tall.
- Spindles in guardrails shall be a maximum of 4 inches apart.