Building & Planning
The Building Official oversees the Building Department, planning and zoning operations, rental housing program, and energy efficiency programs.
The Building Department ensures that new and remodel construction of residential and commercial buildings complies with the adopted building codes through plan review and on-site inspections.
Applications and permits for building, remodels, new construction, signs, garages, additions, sheds, and more.
Planning & Zoning
Planning and Zoning administers and coordinates with city land-use policies, regulations and other legislation to ensure developments are consistent with the city’s standards, policies and plans that enhance the quality and character of the community.
The City Code and Zoning Ordinance contain the rules, regulations and ordinances of the City, for building, zoning, environment, and other land use.
Rental Housing Program
The Rental Housing Program helps ensure decent, safe, sanitary housing for the rental residents of Sioux Center. The program sets minimum standards and works with property owners through ongoing inspections for all rental housing units in Sioux Center to maintain an acceptable standard of living.
The Building Official also serves as the energy efficiency coordinator by initiating continuous energy efficiency programs and coordinating rebates.
- What type of project requires a permit?
Building permits are required for:
- Accessory buildings
- Finishing previously unfinished spaces
- New construction
- Remodeling that includes structural, electrical or plumbing changes
Additional regulations are listed in the City of Sioux Center Code of Ordinances (PDF).
- What are the construction requirements for the back yard?
You are allowed to construct a 120-square-foot accessory building with a permit. It should be placed 10 feet from the property to avoid utility lines.
- Permits are required for any accessory building
- If the accessory building faces an alley, it must be set back 15 feet.
- No accessory buildings are allowed in the front or side yards.
- Accessory buildings for any single-family residential dwelling in the RS, R-1, R-2, or R-3 zoning districts shall be limited to a maximum of two (2) total buildings, including a detached garage, of which all total accessory buildings shall not occupy more than nine (9) percent – 800 sq. ft. of the lot area. (lot area x 9% - 800sq.ft.) The maximum accessory building size shall not exceed a total square footage of 1,800 square feet. However, this regulation shall not prohibit the construction of at least one accessory building not to exceed five hundred fifty (550) square feet gross building area.
- What inspections are required for building / remodeling?
The following are required inspections for building and remodeling:
- Footing Inspection – Required before you pour concrete
- Foundation Inspection – Required before you pour concrete
- Rough-In Inspection – Required before you insulate or install drywall
- Final Inspection – Required before you occupy the newly built or remodeled space
For all inspections, please call Code Enforcement Director Joel Gonzalez at (712) 722-0761.