Report a leak to the department.
Sioux Center's Municipal Natural Gas Utility was established in 1954 when a transmission pipeline was installed northeast of town, making natural gas available to the community. The Natural Gas Department operates the 75 miles of pipeline, which delivers gas to 2,431 customers throughout the community.
Specific department duties include:
- Communicating the safety and reliability of our gas system
- Inspecting the transmission and distribution pipelines on a regular basis
- Installing infrastructure in new subdivisions
- Monitoring the transmission facilities
- Performing routine maintenance and repair of valves on the distribution system
- Preparing regular reports on gas delivered, leaks and new installation
- Promoting the Bright Energy natural gas rebate program
- Providing customer support for gas-related concerns and questions
- Testing meters to ensure accurate readings
- Average residential gas bill - $53
- Number of residential gas customers - 1,983
- What should I do to report a gas leak?
If you suspect a gas leak, immediately call the Natural Gas Department at (712) 722-0761 (weekdays from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm) or at (712) 441-1106 (all other times). If you suspect a leak in a building, do not call from inside the building, as it is possible for the phone to ignite the leaking gas.
- What is the average residential bill during winter months?
The average residential gas bill for winter (November - February) is about $92.
- What part of the natural gas system is the customer responsible for maintaining and repairing?
The natural gas department installs, maintains and repairs all underground gas pipes up to the gas meter. This includes the gas mains located in the street rights of way and utility easements, service lines serving each customer and the gas meter. The customer is responsible for all plumbing after the meter.
Natural gas utility personnel are properly trained and qualified to work on the underground gas pipe. It is also important to employ a qualified plumber to perform any plumbing work after the meter.
You may also view a drawing of your natural gas service.