Being a firefighter is committing to more than just responding to fire and rescue calls. SCFD is a very active fire department and has high expectations for its members to attend meetings and trainings, to participate on committees, and to perform regular station and equipment maintenance duties. Being a firefighter also requires a commitment from businesses that employ SCFD members since calls may occur during working hours. SCFD is an all-volunteer department; members (including officers) do not receive any pay per call or annual salary.
Volunteer firefighters for the City of Sioux Center must:
- Be 18 years of age
- Live within the Sioux Center city limits
- Attend at least 8 department business meetings per year
- Attend at least 8 department training meetings per year
- Take Firefighter I class - 96 hours of classroom and hands-on training
- Have or obtain CPR certification
Interested persons must fill out this application (PDF) even if you have submitted an application in the past.
The completed application can be dropped off at the City Office, 335 1st Avenue NW or mailed to: SCFD, 408 N Main Avenue, Sioux Center, IA 51250.