City Regulation

The city requires that any premise wanting to sell alcohol or cigarettes needs to obtain a permit. The Police Department enforces city and state laws associated with violations of alcohol or cigarette permit conditions.

Cigarette Permits

Cigarette permits are issued once a Cigarette / Tobacco Permit Application (PDF) and a fee of $75.00 are filed with the city. All retail cigarette / tobacco permits expire on the next June 30 after issue. Permits cannot be issued for longer than one year. They will be issued for shorter periods of time if purchased after July 1. Examples:

  • A permit issued on May 29, 2009, will expire on June 30, 2009.
  • A permit issued on July 3, 2009, will expire on June 30, 2010.
  • A permit issued on January 15, 2010, will expire on June 30, 2010.

View frequently asked questions about cigarette permits.

Alcohol Permits

Alcohol permits are obtained by visiting the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division (ABD) website and submitting the online application. Applications are only to be filled out online; paper copies are no longer accepted. Upon permit request, the application will go before the City Council and the ABD for approval.

Transient / Merchant Licenses

Transient and/or merchant licenses are obtained from the chief of police. Fees apply to those making door-to-door sales. If you have any further questions, please contact the chief of police at 712-722-0761.