News Flash

City News

Posted on: March 10, 2021

Council Approves Decrease in City Property Tax Rate

City Budget

The City of Sioux Center’s portion of the property tax rate will be decreasing slightly.

The Sioux Center City Council approved the lower tax levy rate, $11.165 per taxable $1,000, as part of approving the 2021-22 city budget this week. Last year, the rate was $11.2560 per taxable thousand.

The city’s tax rate is only about 33 percent of property owners’ total property taxes. The remaining 67 percent is for taxes levied by the county, local school and Northwest Iowa Community College.

The City of Sioux Center’s tax rate continues to rank among the lowest in Iowa communities similar in size and valuation to Sioux Center.

The city’s 2021-22 budget includes park improvements including updates to Westside Park, creation of a storm water detention pond near Meadow Creek, replacement of an emergency response vehicle, ongoing Highway 75 redesign engineering, and Fire Station #2.

“The City is able to continue the decade-long trend of not increasing the City tax levy rate and continue to provide a great place for people to live and work,” said City Finance Director Darryl Ten Pas.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City News

New commercial area in Sioux Center

New Commercial Area Opening in Sioux Center

Posted on: February 16, 2024 | Last Modified on: May 13, 2021
Image of Text: City Budget 2024-25

Council Looks to Decrease City Tax Rate

Posted on: February 9, 2024
Three groups of people hold large checks

Sioux Center Utilities Partner with Businesses for Rebates

Posted on: February 8, 2024 | Last Modified on: May 13, 2021
A man drives large vehicle

Rus Leads City Street Care for 35 Years

Posted on: February 1, 2024
Two police officers

Two Officers Named Police Sergeant

Posted on: January 27, 2024
Audition poster

Sound of Music Auditions for All Ages

Posted on: January 8, 2024
paving crew works near pond

Sioux Center's New Pond Progressing

Posted on: November 21, 2023
aerial view of road construction

Highway 75 Phase 1 Project Awaiting Paving

Posted on: November 11, 2023
Two girls read a book

Library Receives State Accreditation

Posted on: August 3, 2023
Man in police uniform

Three New Police Officers Sworn In

Posted on: August 1, 2023
Group of people hold large check

SCMU Delivers Energy-Saving Rebate

Posted on: July 10, 2023
A man's face

Gabhart Shaped a Flourishing Mall

Posted on: June 29, 2023
A man's face and police badge

Koedam appointed Chief of Police

Posted on: June 26, 2023
Drawing of hotel exterior

Agreement Assists Development of New Hotel

Posted on: February 27, 2023
Concept of detention pond

New Detention Pond Will Benefit Community

Posted on: February 21, 2023
Map of road construction project

First Highway 75 Bids are Favorable

Posted on: February 2, 2023
Lifeguard watches pool from chair

All Seasons Center Rates Adjusted for 2023

Posted on: December 12, 2022
Concept for reconstruction of road

City Prepares for Highway 75 Replacement

Posted on: December 3, 2022
Man's face and drawing of buildings

Gonzalez Begins as Building Code Official

Posted on: September 1, 2022
top of tree

Local Response to Emerald Ash Borer

Posted on: March 3, 2022
Woman at table with three children

State Awards Grant for Childcare Project

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Inside an indoor turf dome

Indoor Turf Sports Complex Moving Forward

Posted on: November 24, 2021
Three adult faces

Sioux Center Elects Council Members

Posted on: November 9, 2021
Work crew preparing basement for cement

Heritage Village Begins Historic Move

Posted on: October 28, 2021
Fire station

Fire Station 2 Open House on Oct. 7

Posted on: September 24, 2021