News Flash

City News

Posted on: February 3, 2021

Growth Leads to Decrease in Proposed City Levy Rate

City Budget

Ongoing growth means the City of Sioux Center is able to look at decreasing its portion of the property tax levy rate, which will be the 11th decrease in the past 12 years. The City Council is considering decreasing the city’s portion of the levy rate to $11.165 per $1,000 of taxable valuation, a 0.82% decrease from last year.

“With the growth that Sioux Center is experiencing, it’s really helped allow us to keep decreasing our levy rate,” said Finance Director Darryl Ten Pas. “In the past 12 years we’ve been able to either decrease it or keep it steady.”

Sioux Center’s total assessed value has increased by nearly 4% in the past year. Ten Pas said most of that is from new construction.

The City’s portion of residents’ property tax bill is about 32%. The remaining 68% percent goes to the Sioux Center Community School District, Sioux County, and Northwest Iowa Community College. Residents may see a slight increase in their city tax asking because the state has increased residential rollback percentage from 55% to 56.4%. For a home valued at $250,000, the property owner would pay $1,575 in city taxes, an increase of $25 from the previous year due to that rollback increase.

The council reviewed this general fund budget at the Jan. 27 council meeting. They set a 4 p.m. public hearing for the Feb. 15 council meeting, after which they will decide whether to approve the levy rate. The council will decide whether to approve the budget later this spring.

Additional budget highlights:

Utilities contribution

Our municipally-owned utilities are not required by law to pay property taxes, but they still make an annual contribution to the city’s general fund. In this budget the electric, gas and water utilities will contribute 5% of utility sales to the general fund.

Sioux Center emergency vehicle

Sioux Center Ambulance is including the replacement of their response vehicle in the proposed budget. This vehicle, which will be outfitted for emergency response, allows one member of the ambulance crew to immediately respond to the scene ahead of the ambulance.

Parks improvements ahead

Westside Park will see upgrades in 2021-22. The parks budget includes new playground equipment and playground surface for this park in western Sioux Center. Also in the budget is funds for planning future Central Park improvements, and dollars for trails, sidewalks and trees.

All Seasons Center

With increased admissions for Siouxnami Waterpark, the All Seasons Center is covering its operating costs with revenue. This past year, the All Seasons Center hired about 70 lifeguards and had 45,631 indoor/outdoor pool admissions.

Capital projects

Fire Station #2, a storm water detention pond near Meadow Creek, and ongoing engineering for the Highway 75 redesign are part of the capital projects budget. The plan is to fund most of the detention pond project with grant dollars. 

Local Option Sales Tax

Half of the Local Option Sales Tax (LOST) will go into the general fund as property tax relief. The other half will assist with many projects, including paying the Siouxnami bond, funding for the updates recently completed at Children’s Park, trail additions, Fire Station #2, and potentially for an indoor turf facility if the project is approved.

 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City News

Man's face and drawing of buildings

Gonzalez Begins as Building Code Official

Posted on: September 1, 2022
Arts picnic sign

All Invited to Arts Picnic Aug. 25

Posted on: August 18, 2022
New Office Hours sign

City Office Hours Change on August 22

Posted on: August 16, 2022
top of tree

Local Response to Emerald Ash Borer

Posted on: March 3, 2022
Softball Field with players lined up

Softball Diamond Named Field of Excellence

Posted on: February 17, 2022
Woman at table with three children

State Awards Grant for Childcare Project

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Inside an indoor turf dome

Indoor Turf Sports Complex Moving Forward

Posted on: November 24, 2021
Three adult faces

Sioux Center Elects Council Members

Posted on: November 9, 2021
Work crew preparing basement for cement

Heritage Village Begins Historic Move

Posted on: October 28, 2021
Fire station

Fire Station 2 Open House on Oct. 7

Posted on: September 24, 2021
Woman smiling

New Arts Director Brings Enthusiasm

Posted on: March 2, 2021
Close up of map draft

Zoning updates to go into effect in 2020

Posted on: December 18, 2019