Parks, Trails & Open Space Policies
Goal: Parks, Trails & Open Space
Provide residents with the opportunity to participate in a range of park and recreational activities in a safe, convenient, and aesthetically pleasing environment.
Parks, trails & open space are essential elements to the community’s quality of life. A well-planned parks and open space system enriches people’s lives and helps to attract new residents and businesses by positively impacting community character, real estate values and land development patterns.
Create a comprehensive system of open space, parks, and trails providing passive and active facilities and recreational linkages between Sioux Center neighborhoods, commercial corridors, districts, parks, and community facilities.
- Parks, Trails & Open Space System. Promote development of open space and trail systems as a contributor to quality of life for citizens of Sioux Center by connecting people and neighborhoods to businesses, schools, shopping, and parks.
- Master Plan. Develop a long-term plan for a park, open space, bicycle, and trail transportation network in strategic locations to better leverage connections and meets the needs of users.
- Identify Alignments. Identify trail alignments and necessary right-of-way, and require, if appropriate, rights-of-way to be set aside for new developments. Protect, enhance, and utilize stream corridors by developing trails and bikeways through these corridors and other scenic areas.
- County Coordination. Coordinate trail planning and development with the County to provide overlapping and connecting parks, connections, and recreation opportunities in the area.
- Mobility Linkages. Provide shaded and lighted link sidewalks with community parks, activity centers, and county trail system.
- Stormwater Opportunities. Coordinate park development with regional stormwater efforts, including detention facilities to provide linear parks and recreation opportunities.
Create a comprehensive program and master plan for Sandy Hollow that provides passive and active facilities and recreational linkages to the City.
- County Coordination. Coordinate planning and development with the County Conservation Board to provide overlapping and connecting parks, connections and recreation opportunities in the area.
- Sandy Hollow. Utilize the Sandy Hollow Master Plan, prepared by Dordt College, as a guide for future development.